Magento Go Webinar - Thoughts From a Presenter
First of all, the Magento Go team is great to work with. They made sure everything was ready to go for the webinar, and, the whole process was very smooth and professional. I want to give a particular shout-out to Alyssa Gothelf for the great job she did.
In approaching a webinar where dozens or hundreds of participants are expected, I’m always a little nervous because I see it as a big responsibility. I ask myself over and over again:
- Is the content relevant?
- Is it important?
- Am I presenting at an appropriate tech-level for the audience?
- Does the presentation flow logically?
- What are the 2 or 3 things that I want the audience to take away? (I try to make sure these items are repeated numerous times throughout the presentation)
In today’s webinar, we talked about how to best configure your Magento Go store, specifically addressing the product catalog and shipping. I wish we could have discussed setting up CMS pages, navigation hierarchies, and a dozen other missed opportunities in Magento Go.
You can see the whole presentation on Magento Go’s blog, but, here’s a quick summary of the top points:
- Organize your attribute sets by the information fields you want to display on your products, not by category, vendor, etc.
- Get your catalog structure right before trying to upload your product files.
- Use attributes as much as possible for navigation… use category trees only as much as absolutely necessary
- Use Microsoft Excel(r) to edit files, but open and save as CSV with Open Office.
- Copy > Paste > Values in Excel. Live it, love it.
- Use Free Shipping if you can.
- If not, make your shipping choices simple for your customers.
- Use the API to make your business more efficient.
Please, contact Razoyo if you want help with your Magento Go store.