Magento User Testing
One of the new services we picked up from the Magento 2014 Imagine conference was usertesting.com. You can see all of the features and even a demo on the User Testing site, so, I won’t go into detail here, but my quick judgement is:
- Ease of use: 10/10
- Speed of service: 10/10
- Cost: Reasonable ($50 or less depending on your contract with them)
- Features: 10/10 (my favorite is how easy it is to share the videos with clients)
- Value of information: 10/10 (I’m sure they will improve this, but, honestly, it does exactly what I want it to do)
However, beyond the basic service, User Testing has also provided some great user insights. In fact, they recently published a paper called Lessons Learned from Watching 200,000 User Testing Videos. If you sign up for their service, they will probably email the whole thing to you (they did to me), but, here are the headlines. I strongly suggest you sign up for their service (even if just for a trial) so that you can get the full paper.
- Use Mega Menus rather than Multi-Level Navs
- Make sure you links look like links
- Customers want more payment options (strong advocation for PayPal, local currencies, etc.)
- Not all icons are universal
- Social integrations cause privacy concerns, so, be transparent about what you are doing with them
- Ads should be consistent with landing pages. PPC companies have been telling us this for a long time… I guess this confirms it.
- While there’s not perfect way to categorize pages or products, there is a right way to do it. Essentially, get customer feedback when you are designing your catalog!
Again there is a lot more to this. I can’t say enough good things about their services and added value data!